Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I want my smiley face

Hi my friends! How is everyone and their diets? I am okay. Still going strong, getting the pre Shabbos jitters but doing the mentally planning thing. I am going home to my parents and there will be a lot of festivities but I am trying to prepare myself. I also will make it a priority to exercise while I am home so I do not get off track. Rivka, we are going to walk on Shabbos, Sunday and Monday.

I must tell you the craziest thing. I remembered today to "track my weight" at WW.com. You can track your food and your weight and it gives you cute, often depressing graphs and things. Now usually when you lose weight a smiley face shows up and it gives you an encouraging message. Or if you gain (hush hush) it gives you a sad face.
SO I thought today I was going to get this large smiley face from ear to ear. In reality here is the message that came up:

"You're probably excited to be losing weight, but you're losing faster than is recommended. Although it's normal to lose over 2 lbs in 1 week, if you lose more than an average of 2 lbs per week over a 4-week period, this could pose health risks, such as heart irregularities, anemia or loss of muscle mass. Please slow your weight loss; your doctor can help you do this if you're not sure how, or ask your Leader for ideas."
Now I am surprised you all did not hear me throwing things and cursing at my computer. Are they kidding me? I lost 3 lbs in one week, not 40. Look, I have plenty of medical knowledge and if a patient came to see me and said I lost three pounds this week I would not exactly frown upon them.
Seriously, where is my #@@#%* smiley face????
SK
PS She-nerd: I know, I know, they are protecting themselves...blah blah blah.
:)
PPS: Check out this recommended to me by SaraK: super foods. who likes watercress?
http://www.neversaydiet.com/article/top-5-fruits-and-veggies-any-diet?nlcid=cv|12-10-2008|

6 comments:

SaraK said...

You know I am usually a fan of WW but I feel for you honey. You deserve your smiley face!!

I have to teach you how to put hyperlinks in your post, I think the link got cut off.

You're lucky you are going to a warmer place this weekend where you can walk. When I go to Baltimore for Chanukah I don't know how I will get my exercise in.

I can't remember if I posted on here or not that I lost 4 lbs on Monday (because I was sick, though, so that's kinda cheating, right?) So I've been queasy all week and just trying to eat stuff that won't bother my stomach so I'm up 1 lb. Haven't been exercising because I want to take it easy and try to get rid of this bug I've got.

SK said...

Please do teach me how to do hyperlinks. I tried clicking on the hyperlink tab when I typed it and it was weird. I will have to have a lesson.
I congratulate you on the weight loss and I say you can gain one pound after a stomach virus just by drinking. So I think if you are still eating light then you won't gain it all back.
Good luck.

zehava said...

Do they ever watch "The Biggest Loser"?? Apparently not. Those people lose like 10 lbs a week. (yes, I know you should take everything you see on tv with a grain of salt...)

I lost 3 lbs in the past 2 weeks. Go me. Right on track. Only 17 weeks to go. :)

Frances said...

Hi All,
The NYTimes on 12/9 in the Health Section by Tara Parker-Pope
Well:Being paid to lose weight.
(I'd copy the information from the article but they don't want me to and I don't know how.) The bottom line is that it works!
Sara- You are being paid in smiley faces rather than hard cold cash!
I too am off to see family this weekend- my sister in Conneticut tomorrow by ferry.
I'll be off on Tuesday too and plan to do some holiday baking. Haven't done that in years but have the urge and do plan to enjoy some warm homemade cookies myself. But I'm going to try to offset the extra po intakeof Kcal with a nice vegetable soup. Also have to do some heavy duty cleaning. Does that count as exercise? Whatever- that's my plan. Have a wonderful weekend.

Anonymous said...

BHS just gave us the Kosher by Design Cooking Light cookbook so I am excited to try some diet friendly recipes for my diet friends (I guess for me, too, but I am in a constant struggle and on the verge of giving up more often than not) tho - sorry Yoch - I didn't have the energy to try new recipes this week (everything was thrown together tonight after getting home at ten thirty) so all we have to represent are challah muffins - though lately I am having two salads at a meal plus a veggie platter as filler alternatives to the lots of carbs I serve.

Shira said...

OMG, so great. Over shabbat just now, i was talking to David about how someone needs to make a jewish light or diet cookbook. I really like kosher by design, ill have to check that out. Sarah, i am happy to hear you are doing really well. I decided its just too hard for me with a husband who is skinnier than skinny and LOVES candy, to lose weight. What I did decide tho is that when I get to the point where I can look past all that.....Ill know its completely real!! Anyway, for fri night this week we went to my friend's house. Thank G-d I decided to make turkey soup because all she served was nasty bad carbs......what is wrong with ppl!!! Btw, I like your idea about eating meat in the morning. I dont see why ppl get so grossed out. As for the ground turkey, you should try stuffed bell peppers with turkey and whole grain brown rice. There are a thousand recipes online and its soooo good and filling!!!! Good luck with coming week.
-Shira